Most yacht crew have the 51-mile crossing through the Panama Canal on their bucket list. Because let’s be honest, if you haven’t done the Panama Canal, then are you a fully-initiated yachtie?
This dream crossing takes a very long time to complete. Get comfortable and ready to find creative ways to pass the time… After all you’re going to have a lot of time to kill!
Unfortunately, as with many dreams, they aren’t as good as they first seem. This crossing takes a very long time indeed, and for those used to being on their feet all day, they might be a bit lost at how to pass the time. Eight to ten hours, to be exact.
That’s a lot of time to pass…
You could get quite a few jobs done…
Or maybe you could practice your knots….
And you musn’t forget your list of supplies! This one captain even made his own checklist for the crossing:
• Two large Eski coolers
• An ample supply of popular soft drinks
• Lots of bags of bite-size chocolate bars
• As many of the thick removalist-type blankets as I can store on board
• Protective covers for work boots. These can be the paper kind but I will normally purchase the more durable vinyl type used by the European yards. These have a vinyl edge glued to a non-slip sole with an elastic band around the top to hold them on
• A roll of Visqueen plastic
• A roll of Blue Diamond plastic
• Roll two-inch blue tape
• A regulation pilot boarding ladder
• Eight mooring lines of 35 metre or more in length, four each for the bow and stern.
Source: Captain Matthew George
Панамский канал – 77-километровый международный судоходный канал, соединяющий Атлантический и Тихий океаны с высоты МКС. Строительство Панамского канала стало одним из крупнейших и сложнейших строительных проектов, осуществлённых человечеством. Больше фотографий Панамского канала от космонавта Сергея Рыжикова можно увидеть у нас в Instagram Stories. . . The 77 km-long international waterway known as the Panama Canal allows ships to pass between the Atlantic Ocean and Pacific Ocean. It is one of the largest and most difficult engineering projects ever undertaken. You can find more photos of Panama Canal by Roscosmos cosmonaut Sergey Ryzhikov in Instagram Stories. #роскосмос #космос #мкс #ПанамскийКанал #cosmos #space #iss #PanamaCanal #roscosmos #roscosmosofficial
It really is quite a unique experience and one that we think that it is captured perfectly in this time lapse. How would you describe the Panama Crossing?