Up next on our #QuickQuiz is somebody many superyacht crew will be familiar with. Sara Duncan set up yacht crew agency Crew and Concierge after her own successful career onboard superyachts as a chief stewardess. Her work takes her all around the world, and her offices in the UK and Palma mean that she is constantly connecting with new crewmembers, managers and captains in her mission to become the industry’s most recognised recruiter. We caught up with Sara on a dark Autumn evening in Bath…
1. FIRST, PLEASE DESCRIBE TO US WHERE YOU ARE RIGHT NOW, OR TELL US SOMETHING EXCITING YOU’VE BEEN UP TO RECENTLY.
I’m back in the rainy UK at the moment. Winter is coming on fast here and I can’t wait to get back to Palma for some sun!
2. WHAT WAS YOUR DREAM JOB GROWING UP, AND WHAT DO YOU DO NOW?
I always wanted to do something that involved travel, so yachting became the perfect job really! As some of you may know, I’m now a recruitment consultant within the yachting industry and own my business Crew and Concierge.
3. TELL US WHAT THE HIGHLIGHT OF YOUR CAREER HAS BEEN.
It’s a tough one to drill down on specifically, but in general I’m lucky to work in a role at Crew and Concierge where I enjoy maintaining a good balance of travel. Creating a business that has let me work all over the world whilst raising a family is something which is truly special.
4.WOULD YOU RATHER OWN A YACHT OR PREFER TO CHARTER IT?
Probably charter to be honest, otherwise it’s a bottomless pit of outgoings. Running a small business teaches you a thing or two about controlling overheads!
5. IMAGINE YOU’RE NOW OUT CRUISING ON YOUR YACHT- ARE YOU PARTYING ON THE SUNDECK UNTIL DAYBREAK; SEEKING RELAXATION IN THE SUPERYACHT SPA; OR EXPLORING HIDDEN COVES WITH YOUR CAMERA AT THE READY?
Now here’s a good question! Hmm..a morning spent paddle boarding, enjoying eating lovely locally sourced produce with friends and family, watching my little girl enjoy the ocean. Maybe a bottle of rose or 2!!!
6. WHO IS THE PERSON YOU LOOK UP TO MOST IN THE SUPERYACHT INDUSTRY?
Wow that’s tricky!!! Probably Mark Conyers – Rolling Stock and seeing what he created. Watching lots of girls setting up small businesses with the yachting industry (which what sometimes feels like a man’s industry), and driving them forward.
7. NAME YOUR TOP 3 DINNER PARTY GUESTS, DEAD OR ALIVE, CELEBRITIES OR FRIENDS, AND TELL US WHY.
Kate Burcham; because she is an amazing chef and never bores me. My daughter because she has an amazing appetite and I love watching her enjoy food as much as me. I am probably supposed to say some really cool legend like Bob Marley or Marilyn Monroe but I think it would be Lady Di, just because she was a good person and gave a lot to the world. She was a strong woman. To be honest I love food so any of the lovely Chefs we work with would work too. Oh and Lucy Baulch because she makes me laugh hard.
8. EVERYBODY LOVES A BOAT SHOW: MONACO, ANTIGUA, BARCELONA OR FLIBS- WHICH IS BEST?
Monaco is just not for me – the Palma boat show is growing so I really should support that!!!! However looking forward to some Rum and Ting at this year’s Antigua show.
9. WHERE DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN 10 YEARS TIME?
Hopefully skiing lots, still running tough-mudders and raising money, but ideally it would be great to be cruising the South Pacific with my daughter Bella (who will be a teenager and probably won’t want to do that).
10. LAST ONE, MOST IMPORTANTLY, WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE CHEESE?
Manchego but a good one with quince.